The Philadelphia Flyers “Charity Classic” 100K Bike Ride will be coming through Newtown Township on Sunday, July 16, 2017. Their route from Philadelphia includes Goshen Road, and then upon re-entering our Township includes both Newtown Road and St. Davids Road. We anticipate the bicyclists may be travelling though Newtown between 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon.
Please be aware that these cyclists participating in the charity event will be on these roads during this time, and plan accordingly to allow for a safe travel time.
The following publication from PennDOT entitled “Bicycle Laws and Safety Tips for Motorists” can be found by clicking HERE.
The Newtown Township Police Department has also provided the following tips for sharing the road with bicyclists at all times:
- Drive Cautiously.
- Reduce speed when encountering cyclists.
- Don’t tailgate, especially in bad weather.
- Recognize hazards cyclists may face and give them space.
- Yield to Cyclists. Bicycles are considered vehicles. Cyclists should be given the appropriate right of way.
- Allow extra time for cyclists to traverse intersections.
- Be Considerate.
- Scan for cyclists in traffic and at intersections.
- Do not blast your horn in close proximity to cyclists.
- Look for cyclists when opening doors.
- Pass with Care. When passing, leave four feet between you and a cyclist. Wait for safe road and traffic conditions before you pass. Check over your shoulder before moving back.
- Watch for Children. Children on bicycles are often unpredictable. Expect the unexpected and slow down. Don’t expect children to know traffic laws. Because of their size children can be harder to see.